Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Sometimes it's the journey and not the destination

Ok, so a lot has happened since last I wrote a post -- a lot -- and knitting has been a large part of coping with those events. One piece of lace knitting in particular, one that I have been working on for close to two years, has been the first shawl I designed for myself. I call it Daddy's Girl, or I will if it's ever finished. 

You see, I was so close -- three rows to be exact -- and I was going to have it done by what would have been his 87th birthday. Then disaster struck in the form of a 7 month old schipperke. My dog ate my shawl. The shawl I was making to honor my father's memory. 

I cried.

 I told the dog to stay far away. 

I sought consolation from my knitting friends. 

Then I put it in a bag and didn't look at it for days. 

Finally, I decided to attempt a fix. Weeks worth of ruffle knitting has to be undone, but I don't think any of the double rose leaf or hummingbird patterns are torn up. I'm going to pick up what stitches I can from the chewed and unraveled part, unravel and pick up from the uninjured part, and redo the ruffle without the beads that I didn't care for anyway. It won't be done by August 31st.


If, when I start the repair, I find more chewed places, I will do what I can to fix them. I will enlist the help of my knitting friends. I will sigh and frown at the dog even as she drops a ball at my feet and we begin to play. In the end, I will wear my shawl or I will display it some other way. I will proudly explain its symbolism to any who admire it. I have a feeling I will find more lessons along the way.

2 comments:

  1. There's a lot of symbolism swimming around here. Not just in the design, but also in its disintegration.

    And the puppy is visibly remorseful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you see remorse. I see more of a "What?"

      Delete