Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

The Skirt is Finished - The Quilt Is Not

I am now the proud owner of a custom-made gray wool pencil skirt. I'm going to wear it for the first time Wednesday; one of the girls in the Wednesday lunch group has been following my progress in the fashion design class, and I want her to see it. The next skirt I want to make is black wool, a little longer, and lined. The next series of classes begins this Saturday. I'm looking forward to finally having shirts and tops that fit!

I still haven't pinned the quilt. I keep thinking that I will take it to school or church when no one else is there so I can spread it out easily on a large floor space, but I haven't yet and probably won't. I've even gone so far as to put the quilt top, the batting, the backing, the pins, the tape, and the knee cushion in the car, but I still haven't pinned the quilt. What I'm going to have to do is just move the furniture in some room of my house and pin the quilt! I've also decided to hand quilt it instead of sending it to a long arm quilter. That decision means there's no way that quilt will be on the bed this winter an maybe not next, but no matter what decade it is when it finally gets finished, it will be MY quilt, not my machine-pieced top with apologies or explanations. My quilt - machine-pieced, hand-quilted, and embellished with Terry's mother's button collection.

On my day off I made two sample skirts -- a navy blue pleated skirt and a red and black plaid full circle skirt. They fit my old bride doll Bridget. I like making samples that fit my dolls. It feels a little more real than samples for a book. On Sunday, Michelle brought her dolls for me to measure for new clothes. She wants a new dress and, of all the fabric in my stash, she picked a purple fabric with red flowers. It's cute and it will look adorable on her. She has very particular tastes, this four year old. I think we make a good design team.

No comments:

Post a Comment